Attribution- The Next Phase in Mobile App Advertising
Advertising attribution measures user behavior post-ad exposure. There are millions of mobile apps being downloaded every day but tracking mechanism (click to installation to after use) is a challenge for everyone.
Marketers may assume that consumers head to an app store to find new apps and according to study by Google a good portion do. In fact, 40% of smartphone users browse for apps in app stores. App stores are not the only way to discover apps, though. We as digital marketing consultants worry more about rest of the 60%.
Amid all this euphoria of app-economy, marketers & app owners are focusing too much attention on CPA kind of measurement parameter; instead they should map business goals with origin of app-download.
When it comes to mobile advertising, attribution refers to mapping user events (from installing an app, repeat app launch, level completion, registrations, ad-clicks to in-app purchase) with a marketing activity.
However, attribution modeling becomes particularly complex because key activity platforms (Google Play & iStore) give limited flexibility to build liner attribution track. Our colleagues from Web Marketing department remind us of good old days when we used to put :
- Cookies: Leave small piece of code on user’s device & let it send you all kind of information, link it to source of traffic.
- Conversion Tracking Code: Put a piece of code on conversion page & map it with source of traffic.
- Custom Parameters to URL: Send all kind of information about source of traffic thru URL parameters & store it along with lead.
- Event Tracking: Track actions that takes place on the website/landing pages, define some of them as conversions & link it to source of traffic.
BAM! Attribution loop is complete.
Therefore, digital marketers are well versed with the conventional attribution model. But talking about the new mobile app attribution there are some common challenges faced by the marketers. Although there is no standard method of mobile app attribution still there are two methodologies commonly used:
- Unique identifier matcher : There is a unique id which matches the unique identifiers right from the time when user clicks on the ad till he installs that app. Every touch point is measured here.
- Device Fingerprinting : It pulls most of the information from your phone not 100% information though and helps in tracking the user engagement. So when an app is installed all the data points are collected through which fingerprint is generated. The last click with a matching fingerprint is then used to attribute the install.
Though the attribution model for mobile apps is complex and challenging yet we have solutions too. So let’s talk and share our views on the same.